Monday, March 20, 2006

Easy Like Sunday Mornin’: Part II

Can anything ever be easy? No.

We actually have a date we are moving my parental units! Well, two, actually. All of the issues with their financing have forced them to close on their new house the same day as the cabin, March 31st. I realize this is the norm for most folks, but for us it sucks. First of all when they close on the cabin it, and the barn, have to be empty. This is a lot of stuff, to say the least. They already have a storage unit filled to the brink with the furniture they weeded out when they put the cabin on the market. Traditionally, you cannot move into your new home, or paint and carpet, until you’ve actually purchased it. We cannot empty the cabin and barn, close on the cabin, close on the new house, paint new house, carpet new house and move everything into new house on the same day. Impossible.

So here’s the plan my parents were able to negotiate with the sellers of their new house. This weekend, we are moving all (or most) of their belongings into their new home’s three car garage. We are painting this Sunday. Carpet is being measured and ordered this week, to be installed next week. We will move all of their stuff from the garage into the house on the following Saturday, after they officially close.

They were given keys to the house and garage yesterday and we went over to measure windows for curtains and finalize paint colors. My mother’s face indicated trepidation. Their new house isn’t as big as the cabin, and she will be forced to scale down on the number of antiques to display (you wouldn’t believe me if I told you how many). I have tried my best to help out, by offering to take a few off her hands. She can always visit them at my house. Right now, in the cabin, they have on the large “dead wall” as I call it, three deer heads, one entire deer skin and eleven sets of mounted antlers. These will obviously not fit in their new, smaller, more traditional home. I think it is making her a bit sad. The next two weeks will be tough, all around.

Side Note: If any of my readers are interested in a set of deer antlers or skulls in a variety of mounts, I may be able to make you a deal.

Second Side Note: My Friday and Saturday night events will not be altered by the new moving, painting plan. Friday isn't affected at all and Saturday we've already warned my parents we're leaving at a certain time. You're both stuck with me now.

Third Side Note: I hope nice black slacks paired with a cream colored lace top and shoes/jewelry yet to be determined are dressy enough for the gala. Nice looking skirts/dresses were elusive to me during my shopping spree this weekend. Mr. Tot will be wearing a tie, at least.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

It sounds cute - I'm still trying to fgure out what I'm going to wear. Leaning towards the black cocktail dress.

Jenny said...

Do you need any help painting? It's one of my favorite things - no I'm not kidding.