Friday, March 17, 2006

We Are the Red and White of...

Last night was one of my favorite evenings of every year; Fine Arts Night at my daughters’ grade school. Mimi is in 3rd grade and her class performed several songs from music class. Their music teacher has to be one of the most enthusiastic women I have ever seen. It is very apparent that she loves her job and adores our children; she is often brought to tears by their performances. You know how when you see a large cast of 9 year-olds singing songs there is inevitably the wise-ass boys who stand with scowls on their faces, arms crossed as their parents mouth across the gymnasium, “SMILE AND SING”. Not for this teacher. I am not exaggerating when I state every kid up there was singing their hearts out, doing the silly arm movements and wide-eyed expressions. It was awesome. They begin every performance with the Star Spangled Banner and end it with The Small Town Fight Song.


Doody’s class, 5th grade, didn’t perform musically last night, but she did get to show off some of her art projects. This quarter they worked on African masks. I was able to pick hers out quickly. Next week she will be performing at the Spring Band concert, she plays the flute.


Mimi’s clay project was the biggest one on the table; it’s a gargoyle. I can’t wait to get this one home to add to my collection, proudly displayed in our living room.


Looking at these pictures of my girls I feel so incredibly proud of the magnificent, bright and creative young ladies they are becoming (and slightly sad for the little girls I am beginning to see fade away).


Just so SugarLips doesn't feel left out, here is a pic of him creating some art of his own...

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What a wonderful night! It's great that your school does things like that.

BoomBoom said...

If they didn't, I'd have to move.