Monday, December 19, 2005

Holiday Hopes or Hopelessness?

I have been trying to think of something wonderfully Christmas to post this week. I’m struggling.

This time of year I try not to dwell on what we don’t have but rather on what we do. This year it is especially hard. My pal Ben is in Iraq and will miss his 3 month old daughters first Christmas. She may not remember this with sadness, but he always will. My sister Sara will not be with us Christmas Eve for the first time in my 32 years. A family in Byron, Illinois will be struggling to enjoy the holidays after burying their young son. Many families across our nation will share their struggle. This, and much else, makes me sad.

If any of you have ever received one of my holiday letters in the past, you know I always end with the first verse of my favorite song. It is my holiday hope for all. As for who the “you’ll and your” is referring to in the lyrics, let that be your own choice; God, Angels, Jesus, Buddha, Brahma, Mother Earth, or even your own conscience or self.

I pray you'll be our eyes, and watch us where we go
And help us to be wise in times when we don't know
Let this be our prayer, when we lose our way
Lead us to the place, guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe

2 comments:

Jenny said...

No more tear jerking posts! Don't you know I've got a hormone today!

BoomBoom said...

Sorry.

I was just emailing with Jane and declared, based on our blogs and her correspondence lately, we could all use an evening composed primarily of cocktails and giggles.