Friday, October 27, 2006

The Tot’s Impending Divorce…

Okay…okay…the title of this post is a joke. Of course! It’s my newest funny-ha-ha that was really old to every one around me by the third time I said it. Something is happening in my marriage that hasn’t occurred in the past eleven years. My husband is moving to a first shift job. To avoid the high cost of having two children in full time daycare, way back when we were in our early twenties and hocking stereo equipment to buy diapers and formula, Jeff moved into a second shift job. He has always been with the kids all day and I take over in the evenings. At most, the kids have been in daycare for our 2-3 hour overlap. Just when the girls finally hit the age they were in school all day, Jeff starting looking for a day job. Then we found out I had a SugarLips growing inside so it was postponed. Isaac is a bit older now and we found a daycare that rocks, so we decided Jeff could try to move into a first shift job again. The place he’s been working had nothing available though, so once again…we waited.

They say it’s all in “who” you know. We met the Blahzeeblah’s and Bombadee’s for dinner less than two weeks ago when Mr. Bombadee handed Jeff a business card and told him to call his boss. One of the shop guys was hanging on by a thread and they may be looking to replace him in a hurry. Dan suggested Jeff. Less then a week later Jeff had an interview and was told the job was his if he wanted it. After some schedule rearranging on my part (thanks a million Sparky) and tough benefit negotiations (Jeff is still thanking me for insisting he ask for more days off) our lives are about to be turned upside down. We’ve always said one of the reason’s we been able to maintain the excitement in our marriage is due to the fact that by Saturday we can’t wait to see each other. That theory is about to be put to test. I can’t thank Dan enough for all he’s done, although it could be fun to try ~wink wink~.

So how will things change? We will sit together as a family for dinner five more nights a week. My children’s father will be cheering them on from the sidelines at all of their baseball games. Homework duties and soccer practices will no longer lie solely on my shoulders. If I’m invited to a Pampered Chef party or out for cosmo’s with Bombadee on a Tuesday night, I won’t have to arrange a babysitter. We will begin to battle for the remote control. This will be the last trick-or-treating on Halloween night Jeff doesn’t experience through pictures. I will be going to sleep with the love of my life just inches from my side Monday through Friday. I will have a reason to postpone actually going to sleep Monday through Friday that doesn’t involve the dirty book Bombadee loaned me. I can’t wait!

Can I get a woo-hoo?

1 comment:

noncommon said...

i'll one up ya and give you a "halle-fuckin-lujah" on that one!!!!
how cool is that?
you know, that's our situation right now and it works well - chris works all day, i'm home with the baby and then i work at night and he handles the kids and homework.
i'm not there all hours of the evening so we get to spend time with each other every night and it's great!
i'm sure you will have to both adapt a tad to how each other is used to doing things (without the other) but the going to bed thing kicks ass, so who cares?
rock on tots! yeah for time together!