Monday, October 30, 2006

Class of ’91 Reunion Part One: Brown Blazers and Striped Shirts

The day before the reunion...shopping for an outfit. I thought it would only take a few moments to run into Old Navy and pick up this great outfit I had pre-shopped for online. It was a nice pair of really dark denim jeans to be paired with a silk avocado green wrap top. Mrs. Blahzeeblah was waiting for me so I was trying to hurry. She was going to help me revise the platinum hair I chose to sport for Vegas and instead go with a more realistic looking brunette with golden highlights. As fate would have it, the shirt I wanted to buy was only available online and the jeans turned out to have this horrible low rise cut giving me a muffin top hearty enough to feed the Jolly Green Giant (ho-ho-ho). After three hours and four stores I settled on a pair of jeans, pale gold tank and chocolate velvet blazer from Kohls. I also bought some bronze pumps and fabulous dark teal suede purse. For Jeff I picked up a black button up collared shirt with pin stripes. The rest of the afternoon was run, run, run with hair dyeing and giggles with the Blahzeeblah's. I was speeding to get to my Small Smug town (an hour from their house) to pick up SugarLips when suddenly my cell rang; it was Mrs. Blahzeeblah letting me know I had just left her house sans purse. What a friggin' day! It finally arrives, the day of the reunion.

Thankfully Jeff and I made arrangements to meet up with our old pals E and Mr. E at a local brewery before the reunion was slated to begin. We arrived first and ordered a couple of beers and chips with salsa as we sat uncomfortably on the same side of the booth in anticipation of our cohorts (I always find that odd, when couples share the same side of a booth at restaurants with the other side empty). After about ten minutes the phone rang; E calling to tell me there couldn’t find the place. With some quick directions, my excitement grew knowing we would be running towards each other within in moments; arms in the air, fingers wiggling and that high pitch screech chicks make when they are about to hug (yes…she is the ONLY person I do that with). It was so wonderful to see them again. It’s funny how you can not hang out an old friend for years, but when you do it’s as if you were driving around town drinking swigs from a bottle of Bacardi with Bandits in your mouth only yesterday. (Don’t ask) We laughed our asses off when our embrace finally broke and it dawned on us we were both wearing dark denim jeans paired with brown blazers and heels. Not only that, but as Jeff walked up to join in the merry greetings he and Mr. E were both sporting dark button up collared shirts with pinstripes. I shit you not. We must have both shopped in the “15 Year Class Reunion” section of the store.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

You two almost have the same glasses!