Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Rest in Peace, Crocodile Man

1962-2006


“I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message.”

“I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.”

“When I talk to the camera, mate, it's not like I'm talking to the camera, I'm talking to you because I want to whip you around and plunk you right there with me.”

“Where I live if someone gives you a hug it's from the heart.”

“Yeah, I'm a thrill seeker, but crikey, education's the most important thing.”

“These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... So whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I'll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species? There are people who butt out their cigarettes in gorilla-paw ashtrays, with wastepaper baskets that were once elephant feet, who have ivory ornaments… who wear cheetah fur. Don't buy these things! Then there'll be no market and the animals won't be killed. We have domesticated livestock raised for consumption and perfectly good fake leather and fur, so why must we kill wild animals to satisfy the macabre taste of some rich person?”

“Every cent we earn from Crocodile Hunter goes straight back into conservation. Every single cent.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sad about this. Thanks for the tribute. I keep thinking about how many fans he had...and his poor family. I really loved this guy.

BoomBoom said...

The Tot’s are HUGE fans.

Jeff has always referred to Steve as one of my “boyfriends”, once even buying me a Steve action figure I had on my desk at work for years. We also have The Crocodile Hunter board game and several videos we play and watch on a regular basis. Nothing on TV? Let’s watch Steve. As a matter of fact, that is how I was awoken yesterday morning, to Jeff telling me “one of your boyfriends died this morning.” I have always been attracted and drawn to men who are overwhelmingly passionate about something, even if that something is crocodiles. To me, Steve was H-O-T!

His death is a tragic loss not only to his wife and two small children, but to his country, his zoo, his fans and his missions of education and conservation.

He will be missed.

Jenny said...

Sad sad sad

noncommon said...

i am so glad i'm not the only one who is sad this man is no longer with us.
i have always told everyone i know, if i go by way of an animal or helping an animal, then don't be sad, because i won't be.
the crocodile hunter was good people, he was. i'm very sad for his family. but i know he went the way he would have wanted.

punkymom said...

I'm soooo glad you did this I was going to but I never did and now it's done! I was so sad but had to hide it because it's one of Annika's favorite shows. I'm waiting to see if the family does something on the air to approach it, I don't want to say oh by the way Steve died Poohey, she loves watching him and Bindi and the whole clan at Australia Zoo. I'm sure they will carry on his work. You know what they say the good one's die young. They say it was instant so hopefully he didn't feel it. The animal world has one hell of a Angel now.