Friday, August 04, 2006

And Your Little Dog, Too!

“Awesome”, exclaimed Mimi, as Miss Gulch flew across the stage ten feet in the air on her bicycle, having been caught in the throws of a Kansas twister. A few moments later she reappeared as the Wicked Witch of the West, “to satisfy an itch, flying on her broomstick, thumbing for a hitch. Oh what happened then was rich”. Children everywhere were leaned forward, barely hanging on to the edge of theirs seats eager to be just a few inches closer to the magic, mesmerized by the costumes, music, lights and fog. Adults could be seen mouthing the words not only to the familiar songs but also to the dialogue, carved into memory since they were first introduced to the enchanting world of Oz. A place where you “get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour for lunch and then at two we're done!”

The girls and I traveled with Oo-Ma last night to Timber Lake Playhouse to see “The Wizard of Oz” performed on stage. It was simply divine. A wonderful and small log cabin-esque theatre surrounded by trees, sitting on the charming Timber Lake. You would expect a resort playhouse of this size and obscurity to put on a production that looked like something you would have seen in grade school, with mommy-made costumes and crackling, untrained voices. To my surprise, it was a very professional staging complete with hidden microphones, suspension system (for the witch and flying monkeys, of course), lightening, melting witches, fantastic singing and dancing, explosions that had everyone jumping in their chairs…

Simply put, it was a brilliant evening.

I was ecstatic to see their 2007 Summer Season to include The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Dracula and Irving Berlins White Christmas. I can’t wait.

4 comments:

noncommon said...

YEAH! tot is a theatre goer! from someone in the industry - thanks for the support!
my show opens tonight, and then life goes back to "normal." whew!
and incidentally, i know a man named Timber Lake. he was named after that area. useless info to store in the vaults.

BoomBoom said...

Theatre has always been an important aspect of my life. I spent four years of high school performing in almost every production, Jeff and I met in the theatre and I was on-stage rehearsing for The King & I when I declared to the castmate on my left that I was going to marry him (we weren't even dating yet...I should post that story sometime).

My desire to keep in touch with that part of myself has to be met these days with small community productions due to time, locale and funding restraints.

One of the highlights of my theatre life (as an audience member) was back in the 90's, seeing Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria when they were in Chicago, before heading to Broadway. I've always LOVED musical theatre, my car is filled with soundtracks and my girls know every word to such staples as Annie and Little Shop.

Show's I have memorized the soundtracks to, but have never actually seen on stage: The Phantom of the Opera & Le' Miserables.

Some of my favorite musicals: A Chorus Line, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods, West Side Story, Jesus Christ Superstar and Little Shop of Horrors.

What show do you open tonight?

Jenny said...

I love theatre. What show Cameo?

noncommon said...

hey guys! it's 'Anything Goes' - one of my favorites! my sweet son is in the chorus - i choreographed!

my parents founded the theatre twenty years ago.

we are such a theatre family - i can't believe i haven't spewed that to you before.

my parents met doing a show too - mom was a dancer and dad was the scenic designer - he asked who the cute girl in the pink leotard was.

we have a performing arts school, and my dad is chairman of the theatre department at a small university here.

both boys are in acting and noah takes dance.

yeah! i love you both even more! i'm planning on posting about the show after this weekend.

waiting to hear the love story, tot!