Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hey Batter, Batter, Batter....Sssswwwingg: Part II

To make a long story short, I didn't have to say anything. I notice at the beginning of the game, the coach started all of the 5th graders. They played the first three innings at which time he rotated in the girls from the bench. Several of the older girls were rolling their eyes, stomping their feet and making that "ugh" sound with gaping mouths, but I could care less. Those little pissants can kiss my orange-hair daughters ass. (We colored it again last night, so it was brighter than ever! Click here for a pic of my orange-haired, green-eyed beauty.)

I walked up to to RK (one of the other 5th grader's Dad) during the first inning and asked, "I wonder why he's starting our girls tonight?" He simply said, "I made a call to the coach." When I asked for some more details (because it's all in the details now isn't it?) he just shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly and said that he asked if the younger girls could get some more play time. I could tell by the look on his face there was more, but I don't think he wanted to make a big deal out of it so I relented.

After pefecting my "speech" all day yesterday, I didn't want to just leave it with that. Plus, my initial thought after talking with RK was that the request for equal playtime was probably taken more seriously because it came from a dad/man and that just fired me up more. I decided to casually walk up to the coaches after the game with a friendly smile and say, "It was nice to see all of the girls have the same opportunity to play the game tonight. I hope we'll see it continue."

Could I have been a ranting bitch? Oh, absolutley...just ask our local video store and they could share a story with you. But I thought it best to handle this particular situation with a little more reserve and friendliness, as Abigail will continue to be a member of this team.

3 comments:

noncommon said...

woo-hoo! yeah! i'm glad everything worked out! and hopefully this coach 'learned something today!'
sweet relief.

Java Junkie said...

I applaud your reserve in this really. Ranting bitches are great at the right time and place but considering your daughter and her peers were there, probably wouldn't have been the best reaction anyway. I just hope, like you said, that it's not just a one time thing. That would be such a shame.

By the way, your daughter, and her hair? GORGEOUS! :)

Momma G said...

I got your back!