Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Bible and Dinosaurs

Inspired by Bombadee’s post today:

I went to a family graduation gathering a week ago when I saw them approach my picnic table; Pastor Robert and Theresa, of the Tiny Town Methodist church my family and I regularly attended until about two years ago. Robert and Theresa are from India (surprising me still to this day, how embraced they have been in the Tiny Town that once held rally’s for the KKK.) Much of my family; aunts, uncles, and cousins, still attend said church. Many of them still complain each week about “having” to go. Those of you who know me, know I don’t “have” to do anything. I talked with them, politely smiling with non-commitment nods through “We miss you” and “We’d love to have you come back”.

It was at this church my girls and I were baptized (I was 28), with water from the Jordan River. I sang in the choir, Aunt Teenie Weenie and I even performed a duet at the Christmas service. This is the church where my girls ran to the front each week for the horrible old woman leading “Children’s Time”, who quite obviously did not enjoy children. I would sit and listen each week, often reading through the Bible when what I was hearing didn’t demand my attention. It was during one of those long-winded sermons when I finally read Leviticus, or what I prefer to call the Bible’s equivalent to stereo instructions.

When SugarLips was about six months old, we stopped going. This has been my history with church, or religion in general, my entire life. I attempt, I question, I struggle, I disagree, I discontinue. Now I could create one hell of a post on my issues with Christianity in general, but why did we stop going to this particular church? Several reasons come to mind:

Money, money, money. I sat through weekly lectures by two elderly men who brought a posterboard to the front of the congregation with one of those thermometer looking budget graphs that fills up red, hoping to burst by the end of the fiscal year. We gave what we could, sometimes what we couldn’t. There was, of course, never enough money. Would there ever be? How much should one pay? Tithing was not a term this church chose, but they would give those little envelopes with you name and the date of every Sunday for the year pre-printed on them on the first service of a new year like clock work.

Census. This church is a good size, modern building with several classrooms, a large sanctuary that was never more than a third full (if that), an entire lower level with more classrooms and a large fellowship hall with kitchen…you know a typical church. We would listen to ideas of how to increase the census, increase the number of young families with children (mine was one of maybe six or seven in the entire congregation). Now when I say my parents live in a Tiny Town, I mean it. I believe the city plaque at the edge of town boasts about 2500 people. My church was one of four, YES FOUR, Methodist churches in the Tiny Town. Not churches in total, but Methodist churches all struggling with how to increase census, therefore increase what else…money. You should have seen the looks on the faces when I asked, “Why don’t the four struggling, three-quarter empty Methodist churches combine into one large, bountiful one?” If they could have, I think the elders would have burned me at the stake.

The Board. This is the all-powerful group of people who controlled not only the major decisions for the church, but the ever-popular money. The President of the Board NEVER came to church for services, only The Board meetings. He would make strange financial decisions, hire “buddies” for contract jobs, but not break bread with the people’s whose money he was spending.

This is the one that finally broke my ties:

While sitting at a table with my girls having a talk about baptism and what it means, Pastor Robert asks “Do you have any questions?” My daughter Abigail asks, “If the Bible starts at the creation of Earth, why aren’t there any dinosaurs in it?”

His response angers and disappoints me to this day.

“Well…I’m not so sure there were dinosaurs.”

8 comments:

Jenny said...

And who's to say that I'm not dreaming all of this?

Frustrating

Jenny said...

You should read to the girls this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Java Junkie said...

I can understand your anger. How confusing for your children, how pompous, inconsiderate and (imo) idiotic of your Pastor.

Before Monkey and I decided on Unitarian Universalism we considered heavily becoming Methodist. I can say without reservation that our choice was the best for us.

If you're still looking for that sense of community, and the purpose beyond yourselves that a church atmosphere brings, I might be so bold as to suggest you look into UUism. It really embraces all faiths and cultures and fosters a very strong sense of community and responsibility to our fellow man. At least in our particular church anyway.

I hope you're not offended by my suggestion. I just know that many people who have stopped going to church for one reason or another really miss the community of it and miss the sense of purpose beyond ourselves and have found those even stronger in their local Unitarian church.

Jenny said...

Punky Mom is UU

noncommon said...

okay. i'm going to come out of the closet on this one. i despise religions - always have and always will. i ESPECIALLY despise christianity. now, don't get me wrong - the basic principle behind christianity i believe. but christianity is SO conceeded, it irks me. my husband is an aethist. even after having a child, he hasn't changed his mind.
religions are the reason the ills of the world exist. radical/fundamentalist religion. the things people do to eachother in the name of pleasing their god disgusts me.
my children aren't baptised. i figure if that's something they decide to do - go for it. who's to say - one of 'em could become a priest (don't really see it, but if it happened my world wouldn't end).
am i a spiritual person? yup! do i believe in a god? sometimes. do i have an honest dialogue with my kids about my views and my reasons? uh-huh. do i try and leave the door open for them to find their own way on this subject? you betcha.
we will never go to church. but they have gone with friends. ("boring!"). i have dear friends who are ministers. good people. but churches are first and foremost businesses hiding behind the guise of spiritual hope. there are good religious people, and good churches. but i strongly believe they should be taxed just like any other business.
when the majority of people are afraid to think for themselves - we have a problem. religions oppress free thought!
but one last note. i agree with java junkie, if you are looking, UU is the best - liberated and encompassing.
i'm with you on this one.
so was john lennon.

BoomBoom said...

TaterTot & Tot Children being baptised and familiarized with Christianity = Pascal's Wager.

BoomBoom said...

A more detailed explanation of Pascal’s Wager can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascals_wager

But to sum it up, it’s the ideal that it is a better “bet” to believe in God than to not. It is NOT an argument for God’s existence.

You can break it down into four possible scenarios:

You believe in God and he exists = you go to heaven (gain)

You DO NOT believe in God and he exists = you go to hell (loss)

You believe in God and he does NOT exist = it’s a wash (no gain, no loss)

You DO NOT believe in God and he does NOT exist = it’s a wash (no gain, no loss)

The best “wager” is to believe in God as it is the only scenario with the possibility of gain.

noncommon said...

oh boy, i was reading it as Wager (the composer - pronounced 'Vagner'). i'm back with you now. and yes i remember this from philosophy class. i've been working a lot lately and my mind is fried. i went to kfc for dinner tonight and they had to give me options because i couldn't speak - only say uh-huh and uh-uh. i'm blubbering right now. thanks for taking care of me on this one. :)