Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Funny Girl

Do our movie choices and preferences say something about us?

A comment was made to me at work recently when I was clueless in a discussion on various modern day funny-ha-ha films.

You don’t like comedies?”

It’s not that I don’t like comedies. I just find very few of them funny, for one thing. Old school comedies like Caddyshack, Young Frankenstein, Strange Brew, Animal House, Delirious, Airplane; these flicks are pee-your-pants funny to me. Yes I realize my choices make me sound like a 22 year old frat boy, but what can I say. I think what surprised them most about my dislike of comedies, is that I have always been somewhat considered a “funny girl”. I am always giggling and smiling and looking for my next opportunity to get a laugh. Wouldn’t it seem likely that I would gravitate towards funny movies? Not really.

I love to watch dramas, love stories, period films, fantasy, suspense thrillers, and mysteries. These movies are avenues of escapism for me. They inspire me and compel me to think. Period films like Dangerous Liaison’s, Empire of the Sun, Hamlet, Elizabeth, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Gone with the Wind with their sweeping cinematography and intricate costumes are feasts for my eyes. Fantasy films like The Lord the Rings, Legend, Conan the Barbarian, Excalibur, Willow, The Dark Crystal, The Neverending Story take me to worlds I don’t have the imagination required to create. Love stories for me aren’t the Sleepless in Seattle or Runaway Bride crap. They are The Color Purple, Moulin Rouge, Fried Green Tomatoes, As Good As It Gets, Quills, Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner. These movies speak love to me and touch my soul.

For the most part, I have a light-hearted and fun life. I prefer to surround myself with amusing, witty, optimistic, merry friends and keep it as drama-free as possible. Drama can arise from time to time, but I find that I don’t tolerate it well in my real life. It is what I prefer to escape to not from.

When it comes to funny-ha-ha, well…that is what I strive for everyday in my life. My real life.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I have to say I too was surprised to learn you don't care for comedies.

BoomBoom said...

I kinda like the idea of being "unpredictable". It makes me sound more mysterious and intersesting.

Sir Seanface said...

I was thinking that we could modify our dinner party make up a bit so that every so often the party includes a movie in the mix. Once every 4 months maybe. That's if I could ever get off of fucking work to attend a freakin' dinner party! Yay or nay?

BoomBoom said...

Yay from me!