Friday, November 11, 2005

Who's That Cute Girl?


There’s a picture on my desk at work of my husband and I from high school. Yes, I married my high school sweetheart, went to prom with the guy I’m married to, yadda, yadda, yadda. Moving on. We are maybe seventeen at the time, dressed up for the Madrigal Dinner I performed in each year. Basically, I’m decked out with the hair and make-up, fancy costume; you’ll even see that Jeff bought me roses (he was a great boyfriend and is an awesome husband).
JB, one of the network engineers in my department, walks up to my desk smiling. He points at the picture and asks “who’s that cute girl?” I’m not quite sure how to take this.

Should I be:

  • Flattered: “That’s me, thanks”
  • Perplexed: “Who in the hell do you think it is?”
  • Offended: “Are you saying you can’t tell that’s me?”
  • Hurt: “What are you saying I’m not cute anymore?”
  • Dishonest: “It’s my kid sister. Isn’t she beautiful?”
  • Dismissive: “Oh, it’s just an old picture from high school”
  • Funny: (patting stomach) “Yep…this is what happens after three kids”
  • Sarcastic: “Don’t worry about it, she’s out of your league”
  • Angry: “It’s me asshole and you know it.”
I usually pretty quick with any one of these comebacks but was like a deer in headlights on this one. I just sheepishly smiled and he moved on. As many of you know, I have another blog, Jennie’s Journey, dedicated my weight loss. The first line, indicates “This blog will chronicle my endeavor to become on the outside what I feel on the inside.”

This is what I feel on the inside, this picture. I see in this picture young and happy. Creative and talented. Thin and beautiful. Confident. Special. In love. Anyone who doesn’t see these things in me now can kiss my size 20 ass. I am young and happy and talented and creative and beautiful and confident and special and in love. Thin will come.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Definately out of his league.

Jane said...

If he couldn't tell that's you, he's a blind idiot.

I don't know how I'd react. Probably would depend on my mood at the time.