Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Lessons in Silly?

I'm cleaning out my network drive here at work when I come across a poem I penned several years ago for a friends baby shower. She was a first time mom, so my gift was what I consider to be required reading for all parents and children: Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. I had written this poem in the front cover, because I have a firm belief you should never give a book as a gift without writing something personal in the cover. Aren't those the best books to find in a resale shop; a great, old novel or book of poetry with "To Ruth, All my love forever, Harold" scribed in the cover. I just love that! Sorry, back on track here. This is my still untitled poem...I hope you enjoy.

Moms and dads begin to teach
Their children as they grow
The ABC’s and 123’s…
Important stuff to know

Cover your mouth, don’t pick your nose
The magic of Thank You and Please
And always, always say gesundheit
If you overhear a sneeze

Body noises can be accepted
Embarrassment is easily darted
It does take time however to teach
Say “excuse me” without, “I farted”

I shared these lessons of etiquette
As my girls began to grow
Then one fine day I realized
There was more I felt they should know

Like spinning fast will make you dizzy
You can blow bubbles out of your nose
Imaginary friends are grand
And so are dress-up clothes

Spitting is a form of art
So is belching the alphabet
My girls are working hard on both
But have mastered neither yet

Serve dinner one night with no silverware
And don’t have pizza, that’s too easy
Think of their faces when you give them a bowl
Of macaroni, extra cheesy

Some days we will pretend we’re monkeys
On others we’ll put on a skit
Armpit farts and nostril flares
Are lessons you will never forget

My hope for my girls is happiness, joy
To be strong and a little bit frilly
And to grow up in a loving home
Where value is put on silly

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Ask me about inscribed books sometime - I've got a hell of a story for you. Maybe I'll blog about it. Anyways -

LOVE this poem! Does it have a title? I plant to hang it on my fridge. How would you sign your name on this? As a poet do you use your maiden name or a pen name or the real deal?

BoomBoom said...

I'm all real deal baby.

I always thought I would call it Lessons in Silly...but for some reasons never really stuck to it.