Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Movies: Open Invitation

I love movies, but for some reason I rarely go the theater. The last movie I saw on the big screen was Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I’ve always thought it was because I’m cheap, but when I look at other things I spend money on that can’t possibly be the reason. I think it’s just the logistics of going. If Jeff and I go together we have to find a sitter and if that sitter comes with a price tag our movie night just doubled in cost. I haven’t historically called friends for movie dates simply because if I’m going to spend time with my friends why would I want to sit in a movie theater with them? Also, I have to drive to another town for a cinema and getting me out the house isn’t as easy as one may think. Plus we shouldn’t discount the price. The price of a ticket, popcorn and soda will run you $12-$15 on average. Yes, you could forego the popcorn but for me that would be like pancakes without syrup, marriage without sex, Captain without Tennille…what’s the point?

So I am going to try something new. Below is a list of movies hitting the theaters in the months to come that have peaked my curiosity, however I am not limited to these choices. If any of my friends are interested in accompanying either me or Jeff and me, let me know; it’s an open invitation. I will say we would need to plan time following the film for coffee and discussion, two more of my favorite things. My girls are stoked to see the new Harry Potter movie – can’t wait for that one.

Derailed Opens Friday, November 11, 2005
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Opens Friday, November 18, 2005
Walk The Line Opens Friday, November 18, 2005
Memoirs of a Geisha Opens Friday, December 9, 2005
King Kong Opens Wednesday, December 14, 2005
New World Opens Friday, January 13, 2006
DaVinci Code Opens Friday, May 19, 2006
X-Men 3 Opens Friday, May 26, 2006
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest Opens Friday, July 7, 2006

Disclaimer: Please remember that most movies that would fall under the category chick-flick, i.e. Just Like Heaven, In Her Shoes, would not normally qualify as worthy of my time or money. This will avoid the uncomfortable situation of me having to come up with an excuse not to go if I were invited. I’m not trying to be a film snob; it’s just my personal taste.

3 comments:

Jane said...

I plan on seeing Walk the Line at least 10 or 15 times in the theater, because I am passionately in love with the entire Cash family (but most specifically Rosanne). So if you want to see that one with me, let's plan it. I will be wearing all black, of course.

Jenny said...

We are going to see Walk the Line also. We will probably go on a Wednesday night (that's when Ella visits with Grandma).

BoomBoom said...

Yes - I've seen on your site how Wednesday is your movie night. It's nice to have a "date night" like that setup. I'm jealous.

Jeff and I rarely go out on weekends without the kids just because that is the only family time we get with our work schedules and we kinda prefer to hang out with our kids most of the time. Don't get me wrong, we very much enjoy adult only time also, but we are very aware there are only so many years where the kids want to play boardgames or go mini-put with ol' Mom and Dad. It won't be very long before it's more like "Give me ten bucks and the keys to the car"