Monday, October 17, 2005

Three Drafts and Counting

I don't normally have what I would refer to as "bad days" at work, but alas today would qualify. Shall we begin? Mondays are typically very busy at my place of employment. I work at an IT helpdesk and for some reason Monday is the day everything goes wrong and the calls come flooding in. Most of you would be flabbergasted at the number of people who forget their passwords over the two day weekend. (That is all of you but Green Bean who seems to have issues with her passwords also). So basically, I arrive to work on Monday's prepared for lots of calls and a busy day. The following items would fall under the unexpected category:

I spend twenty minutes composing my first real posting for my all new blog (on break of course) and am ready to publish. Excitement is pulsing through my veins…one click away from putting something out there I am sure at least two people will read. Suddenly I hear announced overhead, “Internet Explorer is status one, Internet Explorer is status one”. Poof…all of my typing and thoughts wiped away with one unexpected server reboot. I tell myself to buck up and try again at lunch.


I realize it’s only 10:30 a.m. and I have already taken more calls than I would on any other Monday. Christ, does the phone ever stop ringing? I haven’t even read the news yet. (To explain, we were one man short today and the planets were apparently aligned to kick my ass.)

Ah, lunch…finally I can get back to my posting. I take advice from my fellow bloggers Duchess Jane and Bombadee and decide this time I will compose in notepad or Word, then just cut and paste. Of course since all of my brain power for the day was given to the idiot who couldn’t understand the difference between a PC and a monitor, I had forgotten my previously conceived “Twenty Random Facts” and had to start anew. I work on it for awhile and get a full page typed in Word. Then I decide to take a break and eat my tacos; after all a girl has to eat. Suddenly I notice my fucking PC blue screens on me. I just sit for a moment watching my PC go through this weird cycle of blue screening and restarting over and over again, wondering if the mouse cord and drop ceiling could bear my weight. I ask the twenty-something redhead I work with, Sparky, if he messed with my PC while I was getting my tacos. He tells me no and for some reason today I believe him; after all he has had the same crappy day I have. I decide to hard boot the bitch.

Not only am I able to reboot and logon with no problems but my event log is clear. What the hell happened? Then it occurred to me. Earlier in the day the manger for the networking department (my boss’s boss) came in with this shit-eating grin on his face and told us he put out a new screen saver for our department only and to tell him what we think. My place of employment has an automatic locked down screen saver that initiates after ten minutes of idle. Well he’s thinking how funny would it be if I created a screen saver that looked like your PC was restarting and blue screening over and over again? Funny right? Ha ha, fooled you, right? OH MY GOD, I’M GOING TO KILL HIM!

You may be thinking, no big deal when I open Word my draft would be there. Actually, I find it annoying how Word auto-saves every ten minutes so I had turned that setting off some time ago. Long story short (that’s for you Jane) draft two of my first big posting is wiped with my reboot. Is this a sign? Am I not meant to blog? Is it over before it even begins?
I decide to take destiny into my own hands and compose my posting directly in my dashboard this time; let the chips fall where they may. It seems to have worked, but my twenty random facts posted below would be draft #3.

I could go on and on with the rest of my day, but the love of my life will be home soon and I am determined to keep this address secret from him for the time being so I must post and log off. The rest of my evening will be spent trying to figure out how to retaliate against my boss’s boss without getting canned.

By the way, this posting was typed in Word with the auto save re-enabled.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

In my defense I had forgotten my username AND password. (I realize that's not really helping my defense) ok, but it had been months since I last used them and you IT people tell us NOT to write it down so there. If I'd written it down I'd have had it.

Hope your day is way better. As for the getting back of a co-worker try looking into http://www.collegehumor.com/pictures/1612242/