Monday, September 24, 2007

The Big B

Working on some computer installations in a clinic department this afternoon, I saw my arch enemy. While we work for the same company she normally isn't on my side of town, the doctor she works for must have been on call today. I don’t think she saw me, but I’m not sure. By the time I looked up she had already turned around to take a patient back to an exam room. I knew it was her immediately as she has changed little in the years since the day I last saw her. The day I stood as Matron of Honor in her wedding. Without question, the most uncomfortable day of my life. I have no desire to reopen that hurt by typing the story, but will say that the way I navigate friendships has been altered because of her. I have made new, good friends but keep them at arms distance. First signs of trouble and I will easily bail; remove myself from an uncomfortable situation before it becomes agonizing.

Knowing I had to spend several more hours in the department I began to prepare my reaction should I come face to face with the person who wounded me so dreadfully. The person who made me realize you should never expect a friendship to last forever. The person who showed me how easily you can be inseparable one day and amputated the next. The person who serves as my excuse to drop friends like batter on a cookie sheet when times get tough. The person who taught me to never give another friend more than I am willing to lose. The person who made me believe friendships should never be difficult and if they are reconsider their place in your life. The person I thought I would punch in the face should I ever come face to face with again.

So, what would I have said to this person?

“Hello Brenda, how are you?”

Yeah, I’m a badass.

P.S. I never saw her again, all afternoon.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I wonder what the reaction of your coworkers would've been if you'd punched her in the nose?