Thursday, December 21, 2006

TaterTot Family Holiday Letter: 2006

Many apologies for not sending holiday greetings and family updates for what I believe to be two years in a row. Cards, letters, pictures, stamps; they all have had a way of falling to the bottom of my overwhelming to-do list. I promised myself not to let that happen again, to take some time to reflect on 2006 and wish those we see every day and those we don’t see nearly often enough a wonderful holiday season and amazing 2007. The past year has been full of exciting changes in the TaterTot home.

Abigail Louise. This has been an incredible year with my eldest, who will be turning twelve this spring. Abi is active as ever in sports playing soccer, softball and basketball. While she is still easily located on the field for being the smallest player, she has the largest amount of drive, enthusiasm and sheer love of the game out there. Both her softball and basketball teams earned championships this year. School is still a place she very much enjoys, which is apparent in her outstanding marks. She has finally found a history buff buddy in our good friend Dan and enjoys talking his ear off about her knowledge of the Civil War and all things intellectual. Abi is looking forward to performing with the sixth grade band and choir for the holiday concert in just a few days. Actually, I’m not sure who’s anticipating the concert more; the entire family has endured her relentless carol singing and flute playing around the house for weeks. Chatting on the phone with friends, Friday night football games and careful consideration of what to wear each morning has made it abundantly clear that she is growing up. Abigail is a great source of joy as her dad and I have watch her transition into the strong, independent, bright and beautiful soul we see before us today.

Emily Anne. What can I say about my Mimi? She makes me laugh, out loud, every day of my life. In just a couple of short months Emily will be entering the realm of double-digits, as she looks forward to leaving the age of nine in the dust. She, like her sister, is very active. Soccer, softball and basketball keep mom and dad busy driving back and forth to practices and spending our Saturday’s nestled in chairs on the sidelines cheering on her team. Emily was honored to be a member of the championship teams in both soccer and baseball this year. Girls Scouts is an important part of her life as my hands can attest from sewing on her many earned patches. This summer she attended Girl Scout Camp, her first weeklong trip away from home. As we were getting her settled in the platform tent, she pointed to the rafters and asked her dad if that was a dead bat hanging from the ceiling. As soon as she said it, I thought to myself “How could a bat be hanging if it were dead?” Dad poked it and suddenly there were screaming girls running in all directions. We’ll be telling that story for years to come. Emily enjoyed some experimenting with her hair color this summer as well, sporting both hot pink and purple for a short period of time. Always looking to do everything her older sister can do, she learned to drive Grandma’s four-wheeler by herself, get a bull’s eye with her bow and arrow and shoot a can off a log with her dad’s rifle this year. Emily is a bright sun in the sky for all those privileged to know her. I look forward to years and years of pee-my-pants laughter with her.

Isaac David. Still my SugarLips. I am often teased if I don’t stop calling him this, poor Isaac will be cursed to wear a football jersey with SugarLips emblazoned on the back. He hasn’t given me that “Mom…not in front of the other kids” look yet, so my nickname lives on. September 11, 2006 marked Isaac’s third year and my continued frustration at his insistence to wear diapers. The girls easily potty trained by their second birthdays and here I had a three-year-old boy who thought underwear was “scary”. This all changed a few weeks ago when Jeff started a new job and Isaac’s would be going to the sitter’s house all day (more on the new job in a moment). Sitter Sally suggested this was the opportune time to go cold turkey. We told Isaac on a Sunday that starting tomorrow he would be going to Sally’s first thing in the morning, have preschool time, play with his friends, have some lunch, take and nap and then dad would pick him up…and by the way…no more diapers. Sally is a genius, it worked and I can’t thank her enough. Isaac is beginning to navigate the waters of independence, wanting more and more say in the world around him. I will admit it can be frustrating at times but it is also the most awesome site to see day after day. While Isaac has been blessed with the virtues of patience, caring, gentleness, curiosity and happiness we have been blessed with the overwhelming love he brings to our lives everyday.

Jeff and Jennie. Jeff finally, after almost twelve years, managed to find a first shift job a few weeks ago welding for a company in The City. The kids and I feel spoiled to have dad home for dinner every night of the week. Jeff feels spoiled to be able to go trick or treating with the family and help with homework or attend a week night ball game. I was worried at first, fearing a war over the remote control or arguments about how I’ve always ran my evenings alone with kids but it has been smooth as glass. I celebrated my tenth year at Memorial Hospital and was promoted to an IMS Call Center Analyst after finally earning my A+ Certification for computers. Jeff and I were invited to join our pals the Mathews in Las Vegas this summer to celebrate their 10th anniversary in the City of Lights. It’s funny how you get so wrapped up with soccer games and homework you forget how wonderful it is to put on a fancy dress and high heels to spend an evening out on the town with your fella. We hope to make it an annual weekend for mom and dad to get away and enjoy each other. Stephanie graduated from Benedictine University with her Bachelor’s Degree in Health Science and is working on her Doctorate in Physical Therapy at St. Ambrose University in Iowa. She and Brian are still going strong and I anticipate their relationship growing in the years to come. Sara is nestled snuggly in Arizona. Her house is built and she is working as a flight nurse and riding her horses and new Harley Davidson motorcycle in the warmer climate. She is still missed, but with us in thought everyday.

To all of our friends and family, thank you so very much for a wonderful year. I cherish the time I spend with each and every one of you and look forward to many more adventures in 2007.

Have an awesome holiday season and tremendous New Year!

Jeff, Jennie, Abigail, Emily and Isaac

“We dream a world without violence
a world of justice and faith.
Everyone gives the hand to his neighbours
Symbol of peace, of fraternity
We ask that life be kind
and watch us from above
We hope each soul will find
another soul to love”
-The Prayer

No comments: