Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Class of '91

15 Years? That can’t possibly be right. Saturday night Jeff and I head to the Banquet Center for the East High School Class of 1991 Reunion. There was no five or ten year event so most of these people we literally haven’t seen since senior year. One of my closest friends who I have managed to keep in contact with over the years, even though she and her family live in a neighboring state, is E. I can’t wait to see her. We are meeting her and her husband for drinks at a separate location before the reunion starts, so we should be in fine form by the time we decide to make our grand entrance.

I emailed E this morning and told her she has to help me with a few things:

Names. I suck at names, BIG TIME! I guarantee I will have people coming up to me all night exclaiming “PIEF” (my nickname in school) and I will have no friggin’ idea who in the hell they are. Jeff and E will be able to tell by that stupid smile you get on your face when you’re pretending the person in front of you was the coolest person ever and I can’t believe we’ve lost touch…blah, blah, blah.

“So what have you been up to…married…do you have any kids?” How many times will I have to answer this question? I want to put my response in bullet form and print it out on little cards I can hand to people when they ask. “Here you go, this has all of the information you need on it…nice to see you.” Do I have to ask this question of everyone I see too? Will there be a test at the end of the evening? Like I care.

Gossip. It’s already happened, I have reverted into the 15 year old mean girl who giggled in the corner about the nerdy boys and called girls who were prettier than I was slutty. I work with a girl I’ve known since the fifth grade, she is actually the person who talked me into going to this in the first place. (You know who you are…and I know you’re reading this). She and I were emailing back and forth yesterday about what we plan to wear and within 3 reply’s I was already making reference to a girl who was rumored to have serviced a guy through a chain link fence in high school. What the hell?

“Oh my gawd…you two are STILL together?” I’m sure the first few times I will politely smile and say, “yes…still together…can you believe it?” By the 84th time however, my response will probably have morphed into “No, we haven’t seen eachother since prom but when our eyes met in the parking lot we just knew and told our spouses to get lost and had hot monkey sex in the back seat of his car. It’s just like old times again.” Yes, I am happily married to the boy I began dating when I was 16 years old, who took me to my senior prom, who I lost my virginity to for crying out loud. Doesn’t seem all that odd to me, I’m sure lots of people will be at the reunion with the person they lost their virginity to…although I doubt they will be married to them. ~snicker~

I promise to share stories and pictures next week. Wish me luck and let’s hope I don’t make too much of an arse out of myself.

3 comments:

cara said...

Oh enjoy. Met up recently with a girl I went to High School with. My friend Martha who lives in Portland was back on vacation and we both headed down together to meet this girl. ( We all went to school together).

It was hilarious. Once she got the full run down on us..marital situation, jobs etc she lost interest. Now, I had imagined Martha and I making a quick getaway after about two hours if conversation started to get a bit difficult.

I almost laughed aloud when an hour in to our meeting this girl announced she had to go home because she had work in the morning. Effectively in high school terms she dumped us. Obviously decided we weren't interesting enough. I think she decided we were a bit juvenile as we were getting giddy after about two glasses of wine. She all but talked about pensions..felt 106.

Meeting up with people you haven't seen in years is so interesting. You just reconnect with some people so easily...and others well....we shall say no more!

Looking forward to hearing how it went. I know where you are coming from with the "Are you still together?" thing. This girl I met nearly fell off her seat when I said I married the 'American Sailor.'

Jenny said...

Dying to see Pictures!

cara said...

Your post got me me thinking about a recent meeting I had with a school friend. Finally got back to blogging after a crazy couple of months! Have a great night.