Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Land of 33

I welcomed my good friend Bombadee to The Land of 33 today and assured her how much she would like it here; I arrived back in February. So often young girls, by this I mean twenty-something’s, fear “the dreaded 30’s”. Personally I have enjoyed my thirties much, much more than my turbulent and indecisive twenties.

This has inspired me to create one of my favorite things…a list.

30 Reasons My 30’s are Better than My 20’s:

  1. I make more money and don’t have to hock my possessions to feed my children.
  2. I don’t feel the need to aesthetically compete with or compare myself to women around me; I made peace with my looks and know I am a beautiful being.
  3. I stopped wearing overalls, flare jeans, platform shoes and headbands.
  4. I finally realized how blessed I am to be married to a remarkable, compassionate, handsome, loving man and no longer take him for granted.
  5. I retired baby blue eye shadow and sparkle dust from my make-up repertoire.
  6. I am no longer angry at my parents or blame my childhood for the choices I make as an adult.
  7. I found meaning in The Star Spangled Banner and parades with fire trucks and veterans.
  8. I am more confident.
  9. I know my grammar has a greater impact on how I am perceived than the car I drive or purse I carry.
  10. I’ve created a home.
  11. I am no longer the “new girl” at work; peers trust me (I hope).
  12. There’s something to be said about the notion women hit a sexual peak in their 30’s; I am more comfortable with my body, know what I like and ask for what I want.
  13. I can more easily determine when I am being lied to.
  14. I realize I look better in dark, straight leg jeans with heels than draw string pants and Birkenstock sandals.
  15. The songs I grew up with are all conveniently compiled on “Classic Hits” CD’s.
  16. I trust myself to make better choices.
  17. I stopped smoking.
  18. I’ve surrounded myself with amazing and clever friends whose children I love and enjoy spending time with.
  19. I discovered helping others helps me.
  20. The capacity of which I am able to love my children never ceases to amaze me; it is more today than yesterday.
  21. I seek my own truth rather than unquestionably accept that which I am offered.
  22. I know I don’t have to like everyone, nor does everyone have to like me.
  23. I stopped drinking Zima with grenadine.
  24. I no longer accept poor customer service; my patronage must be earned and if you are bitchy I will turn your snotty ass into the manager.
  25. I am that much closer to life without a period.
  26. My retirement savings is no longer laughable.
  27. I was given a family size George Foreman Grill as a 30th birthday gift, and it changed life as I knew it.
  28. I no longer dwell on that which I cannot change.
  29. I traded in fantasies of sleeping with George Clooney to having a conversation with him.
  30. My 30’s saw the birth of my first blog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Age is just a number and doesn't really reflect intellectualism nor wisdom. _ It is good that the quality of life improves, as time goes by.

BoomBoom said...

I agree on your notion age is just a number, some of the most immature people I know are much older than I am.

I will say it is good that the quality of life improves, but believe it to have little or nothing to do with time itself and more to do with the choices we make in the time we have.

Jenny said...

I love this post - How about

31. Knowing better than drinking till you puke

32. Being able to cook more than just Ramen noodles

33. Accepting control over one's path in life

noncommon said...

my favorites are 6 & 9. that is a great list. you sound like a pretty damn great woman. how did the grill change your life? do i need to go get myself one? and i'm with you on the bad service thing. i've been known to get a little huffy when need be.

BoomBoom said...

I have yet to find a meat my George Foreman doesn't cook to perfection: chicken, pork, burgers, brats, salmon, cod...the list is endless. No cooking spray, oil or butter; all of the fat drains right off and clean up is a snap. And, it cleans up really easy (I found it's even easier if you heat it up to clean it) and gets hot enough for cooking within five minutes of plugging it in. We have the family size unit and it can easily fit enough food for my family of five.

I LOVE MY GEORGE FOREMAN!

Also, thanks for the nice words Cameo. It's not everyday you're told you sound like a pretty damn great woman. You are too kind.

noncommon said...

just so you know, i scoped out the grills today while at the Target. (you know that rhymnes if you say it right)