Thursday, February 16, 2006

Things That Have Surprised Me This Week

American Idol has beaten the Olympics in the ratings.

A conversation with my 10-year old daughter regarding boys. She received a bracelet and heart shaped box of chocolates from an admirer by the name of Eric. No other girls received a similar gift from Eric, only my Doody. As we are talking about this, she shares how Eric and his best friend both have crushes on her and have been fighting. She is hoping the best friend’s attentions will move to her friend Taylor to avoid any further conflict. I sit and listen to these tales calmly as my chest begins to ache with the thought of boys and my daughter, my daughter and boys. Thankfully when I asked her about having a boyfriend she said “I don’t think I’ll be ready until at least junior high”. I can breathe again, for now.

Vice President Dick Cheney’s declaration that the day he shot his friend in the face was the “one of the worst days of my life.” Personally I would think he should acknowledge it was one of the worst days of his friend’s life.

How easily I am able to liberate myself of a relationship gone sour. In the past it would have taken me months of gloom and guilt, trying to work it out. I went through that last year, I won’t do it again this year. I choose who to share my life with.

Turning 33 isn’t bothering me. Seriously.

I can still get jealous when it comes to my husband.

Someone who has unjustly labeled herself as a “fair weather friend”, I discovered is anything but. When I needed an ear this week, one was offered. Thank you.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

My heart aches for Doody already. She needs to be warned that she is about to loose her mind for about 5 years and totally illogical decisions will seem like a good idea.

Had you told me at age 10 that I would later at age 15 stand in an alley in the rain and try to get on a bus with a Rock Band in their 20s so I could fall in love with the lead singer and bear his cool rock and roll children. I would've laughed at you and said "That's a dumb idea for a teenager to act upon." But alas, I thoroughly lost my mind during my adolescence.

Jenny said...

You'd think the worst day of Dick Cheney's life would be something to do with a war he's supported and the many young men he's put in danger.

Support it or not, it's still a terrible thing.