Wednesday, January 04, 2006

2005, With a Bow

I had started a “2005 List” yesterday, but was sidetracked by Bombadee’s positive posting. Many of the items on my list were not very positive in nature, but focused more on what sucked. I’m not sure why I had chosen to dwell on these, but did. This morning I told myself that I would compose a list of all of the shiny happy things that had occurred; more of a cup half full perspective. As the list began to take form it kept yelling at me, “Jennifer, this isn’t all of it. If you ignore the crap, it doesn’t go away. Sweep us under the rug and we will still be there”. You get my drift.

I decided to include the good and some of the bad on the list. For much of the negative, something good has occurred to directly offset it as you will see. Is this list complete? No. But it’s what popped into my head first when I thought back over the past twelve months.

Friendship

  • Chose to end an eight year friendship after unsuccessfully forging a friendship with her new husband, Triple A.
  • Rediscovered how much I enjoy Jenny and Michelle.
  • Made a fabulous new friend (you know who you are).
  • Held monthly dinner parties with the Hills and Mathews ten out of twelve months.
  • Joined a gang of fierce women dubbed “The Casseroles”, codename: TaterTot
  • Went dancing three times.
  • Went on a lovely vacation with the Hills in Wisconsin.

Career

  • Changed jobs, increased wages.
  • Completed an A+ Certification class, still chicken to take tests.

Marriage

  • Celebrated my 12th anniversary.
  • Truly love my husband more this year than last, although he still pisses me off at times.
  • Finally took a vacation, sans children, with the husband (Vegas, baby). First one since our honeymoon.

Children

  • Doody and Mimi are growing up too fast; Doody needs to start wearing a bra and received her own cordless phone for Christmas. Cell phones and thongs are around the corner. (If anyone feels the need to remind me of their pending interest in boys ~or girls~, please refrain. I am not ready for the thought of someone’s tongue in either of their mouths.)
  • Girls are growing up to be respectful, confident, intelligent, responsible, interesting, funny, beautiful young ladies.
  • Read all 3 of the great books I found regarding periods, breasts and tampons with Doody.
  • Weaned Mr. Lips from his pacifier and have him successfully sleeping in his toddler bed.
  • Managed to make it through 2 basketball teams, 2 softball teams, 2 soccer teams, 5th grade band, Girl Scouts, 4 swim lesson sessions, 4-H Club and the 4-H Fair.
  • While SugarLips speech is noticeably delayed, he can successfully tell me when he’s hungry, thirsty, poopy, or needs hugs and kisses.
  • Dressed all three of my children quite stylishly with wardrobes purchased primarily from garage sales: 50% (girls) and 85% (Mr. Lips)

Home

  • Landscaped the front and back yards.
  • Painted the living room and kitchen.
  • Had a garage sale and felt sick as I sold many of the items I bought new for Sugar at a fraction of what I paid for them.

Family

  • Sister moved to Arizona.
  • Step-father still a prick about sister moving to Arizona.
  • Sister Stephanie and boyfriend Brian joined Jeff and I in Vegas to celebrate her 21st birthday.
  • Mom made it through two more knee surgeries.
  • Brother made it through one knee surgery and sewing back on of face.

Personal

  • Lost 35 pounds.
  • Started two blogs.
  • Started reading too many blogs.
  • Began wearing heels with jeans.
  • Saw two musicals.
  • Read five novels.
  • Bought an elliptical machine (and use it).
  • Came to the realization I’m important, special and more powerful than I thought.

Tomorrow I plan to begin a to-do list for 2006.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that "You know who you are" is just a cheap way of making sure that you don't forget any names.

~facelick~

Jenny said...

"Pretty impressive list lady. I counted 4 and a half negatives." says the woman with the big broom. "I'll be sweeping the rest of this month and into the next - at least until the sun shines for one freaking day. This is my stratagy to keep me from crying in my soup. So far it's working great.

Put on the list for 2006 Karoke with the Casseroles and then we can cross that off in a couple of weeks!