Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Are Men Necessary?: Part I

CNN.com had an article this morning that caught my eye: Are Men Necessary?

Let’s dialogue this one, shall we? In a day and age when women can provide for themselves financially, use sperm donors to have children, negotiate price on a new car, have thought provoking conversations Saturday evenings out on the town with their girlfriends, pull out the ever faithful wabbit when in the mood, change a tire and use power tools (insert wabbit joke here) what are men for? Will they become “ornamental” as the author of this book predicts?

Even my man, whom I adore, can annoy the hell out of me. He burps, farts, scratches, stinks (sometimes), considers football a religion, becomes an imbecile around certain friends, thinks “hey baby, let’s do it” is a form of seduction, doesn’t understand why he can’t wear dirty jeans and a stained t-shirt to family functions and would love to have a huge steak and two beers for dinner every night of his life.

Could I live without him? Yes. Do I want to?

Do any of us?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

My husband is a total protector, in ways I wouldn’t be. In situations I would just remove myself from, Dan stands up for us. Case in point: 4th of July, downtown (big city) by the dam. Dan and I are sitting on a blanket waiting for the fireworks to start. 7 or 8 teenagers from a known Laotian gang are throwing ladyfingers so close to us I could’ve touched them. I’m thinking we should move. Dan stands up and walks over there “You boys better knock it off” he says. I’m now thinking they are going to stab us and roll us into the river – it wouldn’t be hard. Another firecracker lands next to my feet. I hear Dan’s voice become menacing “What did I just say!?”… Heavy silence and waiting… they leave. Guess who’s got some later? I know it’s soo caveman.

Me want caveman grrrr.

Jenny said...

Totally go blame the patriarchy this morning at

http://twistyfaster.typepad.com/i_blame_the_patriarchy/

I followed the links down the rabbit hole and - woman you are soo on topic this morning!